The Five Spot

021010FiveSpot_PerrinDr. David H. Perrin has been provost since 2007. He was dean of the School of HHP before that. Perrin had played basketball on his high school team and college team, and he often cheers the Spartan teams on at games. During a recent game, CW asked him which teams (aside from the Spartans) he has pulled for over the years. In 1976-77, he was a grad student at Indiana State, the year Larry Bird joined Indiana State as a freshman. Perrin was in the stands for the first game – very few attended. By end of the season, the stands were full. Later, Bird would have the same effect on attendance at the Boston Garden. “He went to the Celtics and did the same thing.” The Boston Celtics had been Perrin’s favorite NBA team since the 1960s. Havlicek, their star guard, had been his hero. “Let me tell you a story.” Perrin was on the faculty at University of Virginia, and the men’s basketball team was practicing nearby. He knew Havlicek’s son was on the team. Who passes by but his old hero – John Havlicek! He was speechless. The opportunity to meet his old hero passed by. Perrin mentions an enjoyable book about the Celtics center Bill Russell and legendary coach Red Auerbach, “Red and Me,” which he read last year. CW asked, “What do you read?” “Our Underachieving Colleges” by Derek Bok and “Crossing the Finish Line: Completing College at America’s Public Universities” are his two most recently read books. CW asked about what he reads for fun, when he has the chance. He’s an avid reader of The New Yorker magazine. As for books?  He likes books about Paris, such as Polly Platt’s “French or Foe” or New Yorker writer Adam Gopnik’s “Paris to the Moon.” “I love Paris,” Perrin says. His father immigrated from France. The provost’s grandfather moved his family from France to Vermont, to be a farmer there. “In my early twenties, my dad took me to France. I saw all my relatives – trip of my lifetime.” His dad became a barber; his mother a nurse. The provost became a first-generation college student – “we have a lot at UNCG.” Other good books he’s enjoyed in recent years? Ones on Martin Luther King, most recently “I Have a Dream: Writings and Speeches That Changed the World.” Studs Terkel’s “Will the Circle Be Unbroken,” with lots of “interviews with those terminally ill … a really good read.” “The Agony and the Ecstasy: A Biographical Novel of Michelangelo.” Perrin likes biographies. Some others?

Some books read in recent years for enjoyment

1. “It’s Not About the Bike” by Lance Armstrong [I like reading about ] interesting and successful people.
  2. “The Measure of a Man: A Spiritual Autobiography” by Sidney Poitier I liked his early movies … He has an amazing story.
  3. “Let Me Tell You a Story: A Lifetime in the Game” by John Feinstein He [Feinstein] was invited to [weekly] lunches with Red Auerbach and friends [providing stories for the book].
  4. “Judgment of Paris” by George Taber A great book about the historic 1976 Paris blind wine tasting won by a couple of wines from Napa.
  5. “In Pursuit of Reason: The Life of Thomas Jefferson” by Noble Cunningham A nice overview of his life.

Have an idea for The Five Spot? Email campus_weekly@uncg.edu with your suggestion.