Copyright and Fair Use in Research and Teaching

022410NewsAndNotes_SmithCan I use a Far Side cartoon in PowerPoint slides for my lecture? What about a video clip from “House?” Is it different if I want to put my slides online? Can other people use my work that way?

These are just a few of the questions raised by the difficult and ambiguous doctrine of fair use in copyright law.

Come learn what fair use is, what it isn’t and how it is applied. Also, discuss how fair use might be improved so that it is less of an obstacle to education and more of an opportunity.

The faculty forum will be Tuesday, March 2, 10 a.m. to noon, in the EUC Claxton Room. The featured speaker is Kevin Smith, the scholarly communications officer at Duke University. The title of his presentation is “Copyright and Fair Use in Research & Teaching: Opportunities or Impediments.”

It is sponsored by the Faculty Senate Scholarly Communications Committee and the University Libraries.