Capone Is Leaving UNCG

033110NewAndNotes_CaponeLucien “Skip” Capone is leaving UNCG for higher ground – the campus of UNC Asheville. He is taking the position of General Counsel at UNC Asheville.

“I’ve loved my nearly 19 years at UNCG but I have wanted to move to the mountains for quite some time,” he said. “When I learned that my counterpart at UNC Asheville had departed, I felt that the timing was right for me to go ahead make this move.”

His last day here is April 14. Steven Serck, associate university counsel, will serve as interim counsel effective April 15, and until the position is filled on a permanent basis. Chancellor Linda P. Brady will appoint a search committee shortly.

“Skip has been an outstanding advisor to me and a strong advocate for UNCG,” said Chancellor Brady. “I will miss his frank and informed advice. I know he has wanted to move to the mountains and am thankful that he will continue to serve the UNC system in his new role.”

The campus community is invited to a reception for Capone on Tuesday, April 6, 1:30 – 3 p.m. in the Virginia Dare Room, Alumni House.

Capone has been university counsel at UNCG since September 1991. Prior to that, he was at the N.C. Attorney General’s Office from 1977 to 1991.

“It has been a privilege to have served as UNCG’s university counsel for nearly 19 years and I am honored to have been part of Chancellor Brady’s leadership team. UNCG is a very special place that has allowed me to grow both personally and professionally,” he said. “I have always felt that UNCG is part of my extended family, and I have developed many close friendships that I will carry with me into my new job and life in the mountains. I leave filled with gratitude for the opportunities I’ve been offered, and I will always treasure my time at UNCG.”