The Five Spot

041410FiveSpot_TaylorDr. Anthony Taylor has been an assistant professor of clarinet in the School of Music since 2007. He is the principal clarinet of the Winston-Salem Symphony, as well as a solo, chamber and jazz musician. He is also near the top of the leaderboard in Spartan Steps. How does he get in all that walking and running each day? “My approach to Spartan Steps? I run 5-7 miles most mornings, early. I have an 18-month-old daughter and try to get most of that run in before she is awake. I also live near campus and never drive to campus, so I get a lot of walking in just going about my usual university business.” He adds, “As a professor in the School of Music, I teach at the school five-seven days a week, and some days return for evening concerts, so that can amount to a lot of trips back and forth.” He has been using a pedometer to measure his daily activity level, he explains. We know some listen to different types of music or podcasts to keep them going – or broaden their minds while they keep in shape. So CW asked him what he listens to when he runs.

A Spartan Steps leader talks music

1. What do you listen to when you jog? When I jog in the morning, I listen to drum and bass music [D&B] from the late 1990s, early 2000s. Dieselboy, TeeBee, Aphrodite. As a music professor, it is my business to have a wide range of musical knowledge, and I like a really wide range of music, but for the running I just want a steady beat that keeps me moving.
  2. Any rock and roll? Actually, I set pop and rock aside approximately twenty-five years ago. I liked AC/DC the best back then.
  3. How did you get into jazz? When I was a kid, I loved hard rock guitar solos, but then I heard jazz musicians like Charlie Parker take solos, and my interest shifted abruptly.
  4. You listen to no pop music now? I have been enjoying Crystal Bowersox’s recent performances on “American Idol,” and I do like Radiohead, but that is about it in commercial genres like pop or rock.
  5. Getting back to jazz, who are your favorites? In the last two years I have been listening almost exclusively to jazz from the 1920s and 1930s, mostly New Orleans style. It has a certain honesty, authenticity and rhythmic vitality that I have grown to appreciate. Luminaries like trumpeter Louis Armstrong, clarinetists Johnny Dodds and Omer Simeon, and modern clarinetists in this style like Kenny Davern and Pee Wee Russell.

Have a list idea for the Five Spot? Send it to campus_weekly@uncg.edu.