Reading Your Way Through Summer

072110Feature1_SummerReadFrom the Human Resource Services office to the Bryan Building, faculty and staff share some of the books they’re enjoying during these warm months.

Betty Betts in HRS is reading a book on Islam – “It’s not light reading.” Who in HRS is doing some light, summer reading? Deb Carley says she likes romance novels, especially when traveling. Melissa Barnes is reading the mystery “Fever Dream,” part of a series by Douglas Preston and Lincoln Child. She likes “‘chick lit,’ mysteries and sci-fi,” she says. And horror, such as Stephen King books. She now has a Kindle and can download what she wants in seconds, she adds. She can download classics for free.

At the Bryan School’s Dean’s Office, Merry Zahn also is a fan of Stephen King novels. “I recently finished ‘From a Buick 8,’ and I’m looking forward to the release of ‘Under the Dome’ [this month]. I will probably also re-read ‘The Stand’ again this summer,” she says – “I enjoy it every time I read it.

Pam Cash, assistant dean at the Bryan School, has a bunch of books on her reading list. One is “Absolutely American: Four Years at West Point” by David Lipsky, “because it’s one of the freshman reads this summer.” She notes that she’d previously read this year’s other freshman read book, “A Thousand Splendid Suns” by Khaled Hosseini. Other books she plans to read are “Mountains Beyond Mountains: The Quest of Dr. Paul Farmer, A Man Who Could Cure the World” by Tracy Kidder, “Bound Feet, Western Dress: A Memoir” by Pang-Mei Natasha Chang and “The Speed of Trust: The One Thing That Changes Everything” by Steven M. R. Covey. “I won this book as a door prize at a Leadership Greensboro Forum on the same topic,” she says.

But that’s not all. There’s “Bitter Blood” by Jerry Bledsoe. “This is a re-read. After 25 years, it is still a chilling and shocking Greensboro true crime story.”

She says that the latter is one of many great books she has come across at used book sales – and enjoyed.

In EUC, Andrew Sharpe, who is manager of technical services there, is continuing to make his way through Colleen McCullough’s “Masters of Rome” series, with “Fortune’s Favorites” and “Caesar’s Women” on tap this summer. He also plans to continue Bernard Cornwell’s Sharpe series with “Sharpe’s Regiment.” “When I get though all that, I am planning on reading Brian Herbert and Kevin Anderson’s continuation of the Dune saga with ‘Winds of Dune,'” he adds.

On the second floor of EUC, Jeffrey Coleman, assistant director of Multicultural Affairs, says his summer read is “The Color of Water” by James McBride.

Baseball coach Mike Gaski, in addition to Spartan recruiting and serving as president of USA Baseball – which organizes America’s national team – likes to write fiction when he can spare time. He is a 1973 UNCG MFA graduate in creative writing. He’s reading two books currently, he says.

“Salmon Rushdie’s ‘The Enchantress of Florence’ is my current travel book and Thomas Pynchon’s ‘Against the Day’ is my bedside read.” He explains that the latter is too heavy for plane travel.

“It seems like I am always trying to catch up with the great writers of fiction,” Gaski says. “So many of our modern day artists are brilliant, and I love the language these two use as they wrestle with questions of belief and magic and science.”