With ‘Spartan stories’ such as luminaires, Erin Lawrimore illuminates campus’ history

This year’s luminaire display was as beautiful as ever. Wonder how the tradition started? Erin Lawrimore tells all, in this week’s ‘Spartan Stories’ blog.

“At 7 a.m. on a December morning in 1969, a number of UNCG students gathered in front of the Elliott University Center with 2,000 candles, white paper bags, soufflé cups, and a really big pile of sand,” her story begins. Chancellor Ferguson provided money to purchase the sand and candles, she explains. The white bags and the soufflé cups were donated by the Caf.

After the candles were in place on campus and lit at dusk, the students sang seasonal songs and drank hot cider and hot chocolate around a bonfire that burned in a metal pit, she says.

Lawrimore joined UNCG University Libraries last year as university archivist, a position Betty Carter that had held before retiring.

She began the “Spartan Stories” blog on Oct. 1. She writes many posts, while others contribute as well.

Her favorite things so far? “First, I just love getting the stories out there. UNCG’s history is so interesting. I feel that knowing more about the history of the school helps us build a greater sense of community and appreciation for ongoing campus development. But, the blog is also giving me a great opportunity to learn new stories that I can then incorporate into the numerous classes that I teach and presentations that I do.

“UNCG has a unique history filled with interesting stories,” she says, and week by week the blog will tell them.

CW asked Lawrimore about her own story. Did you know as an English major undergraduate at Duke, she once had Reynolds Price as a professor? Or that she worked in the Sports Information department at both Duke and The University of Texas – Austin, where she received her master’s?

She also worked for the Atlanta Braves one summer, in a program created by Hank Aaron. She mostly worked on their post-season media guide and compiled clippings and statistics. “And I did some random game-day duties – my favorite being the day I was sent to the field to make sure no one with a press pass asked for Mark McGwire’s autograph during batting practice. I like to say that I was his body guard.”

After receiving her master’s, she spent five years in the special collections library at the University of Tennessee. Before joining UNCG, she was the associate head and curator at the Special Collections Research Center at NC State’s DH Hill Library.

And now she’s a Spartan, helping share our university’s stories.

Visit http://uncghistory.blogspot.com/ to enjoy Spartan Stories. You may subscribe to the blog via RSS feed or email, using the options on the right side of the blog screen. The posts are regularly tweeted by the Irma Minerva Twitter feed, https://twitter.com/IrmaUNCG.

By Mike Harris