UNCG Campus Weekly

Campus Weekly is published each Wednesday when classes are in session. In the summer, it is published biweekly.

2,693 turn tassels at Spring 2013 Commencement

Photo of Dr. Norman Anderson speaking at commencementDr. Norman Anderson earned his PhD in psychology at UNCG 30 years ago.

On Friday, he was back. Anderson, CEO of the American Psychological Association, addressed the Class of 2013 and took home a second doctorate, an honorary Doctor of Science degree.

He spoke of happiness.

About 60 percent of their personal happiness can be chalked up to life circumstances and genetics, Anderson told the new grads. The remaining 40 percent is up to them.

“Research has shown that enduring happiness involves the actions we take, the thoughts we think and the goals we set for ourselves every day,” he said. “We are in complete control of a large percentage of our own happiness, so the onus is on us to fully realize our happiness potential.”

Chancellor Linda P. Brady conferred 2,693 degrees during the university’s spring commencement, held in the Greensboro Coliseum. That number includes 2,020 bachelors degrees, 600 masters degrees, 15 Specialist in Education degrees and 58 doctoral degrees. Thirty-eight of those degrees went to international students.

Dr. Daniel Winkler served as faculty marshal and mace bearer.

Chelsea Boccardo, president of the Student Government Association, addressed the Class of 2013 on behalf of SGA.

Chief marshal was Anna Batista. KaShay Evans-Barlow was tassel turner.

Matthew Moss, Class of 2013, and Gayle Hicks Fripp, Class of 1963, rang the university bell, a longstanding UNCG tradition.

Full story – and link to address – at UNCC News.

By Michelle Hines