Hoops SoCon Freshman of Year Tevon Saddler will return

Action photo of Tevon SaddlerUNCG freshman guard and Southern Conference Freshman of the Year Tevon Saddler has rejoined the men’s basketball program, Coach Wes Miller announced Sunday. Saddler explored transfer possibilities this spring after his rookie campaign.

“He handled the transfer process with a great deal of maturity, and after looking at a variety of different universities he felt that his heart was still at UNCG,” Miller said.

He led the league in scoring among all freshman, averaging 12.5 points per game while also grabbing 3.8 rebounds per game. He was 11th overall in the league with 3.0 assists per game.

Last year’s leading scorer, Kyle Cain, has announced he is forgoing his final year to pursue a professional basketball career. He noted, “I am committed to continuing my education and plan to graduate from UNCG within the next two years.” Jordan Potts and Tryone Outlaw have announced their intention to transfer.

The News & Record recently reported that nationally, about 40 percent of all men’s basketball players leave their initial school by the end of their sophomore year.

But Sadler is staying. “I want to thank my teammates and coaches for welcoming me back,” Saddler said. “I am ready to get back to work with my team and am excited for our future.”

Season tickets for next season will go on sale in late summer. For information about tickets, email maehmke@uncg.edu or call 336-334-3250.

Information about this year’s recruiting class of four students is at this UNCG Athletics page.