Dr. Cathy Akens will be Vice Chancellor for Student Affairs

Provost Dunn sent the following announcement to the campus community:

I am delighted to announce the appointment of Dr. Cathy Akens to the position of Vice Chancellor for Student Affairs. Her appointment is effective January 29, 2018.

Dr. Akens is Associate Vice President for Student Affairs and Dean of Students at Florida International University, one of UNCG’s national peer institutions, and has a long and distinguished record of leadership within Student Affairs.  She was appointed as FIU’s first Dean of Students and prior to that served as the senior student affairs officer for FIU’s branch campus on Biscayne Bay.  

Previously, she worked in the area of housing and residence life at FIU and Bowling Green State University.  Since 2002 Dr. Akens has taught at the graduate level in FIU’s higher education program. She has been engaged in professional service and scholarship throughout her career, and is currently co-editing a book on college students and their environments.

Dr. Akens was selected for this position following a national search.  I wish to express my gratitude to the Search Committee for their time and efforts.

In addition, I am grateful to all members of the University community who took part in interviews, attended Dr. Akens’ campus forum, provided comments following candidate visits, and otherwise contributed to the successful outcome of our search.

Please join me in welcoming Dr. Akens to our campus community.  I am confident that she will prove to be an outstanding resource for our students, faculty, and staff.