Alan Alda on stage at UNCG Friday night

Photograph of Alan AldaAlan Alda is known for many roles – from Hawkeye Pierce on “M*A*S*H” to the engaging host of “Scientific American Frontiers.”

The acclaimed actor opens this year’s UNCG UC/LS with a special presentation this Friday (Sept. 21) at 8 p.m. in UNCG Auditorium.

Tickets may be purchased via this page or at the Triad Stage Box Office, (336) 272-0160. There is a special price for UNCG faculty, staff and retires as well as students.

Alda, through his writing and lectures, shares fascinating and powerful lessons from the art and science of communication, and teaches how to improve the way you relate to others using improv games, storytelling, and your own innate ability to read what’s probably going on in the minds of others.

With his trademark humor and frankness, Alan Alda explains what makes the out-of-the-box techniques he developed after his years as the host of PBS’s “Scientific American Frontiers” so effective.

One of TV Guide’s 50 Greatest Television Stars of All Time, he has starred in series such as “M*A*S*H,” “30 Rock,” T”he West Wing” and “ER.” Among his recent science-focused work, he hosted “Brains on Trial,” a neurological look at brains in the courtroom. He also wrote “Radiance: The Passion of Marie Curie,” a play about the personal life of the scientist who discovered radium, and presented “Dear Albert,” a stage-work he wrote based on letters written by Albert Einstein, for the World Science Festival in 2016.

A recipient of the National Science Board’s Public Service Award, Alda is a visiting professor at and founding member of Stony Brook University’s Alan Alda Center for Communicating Science, where he helps develop innovative programs on how scientists communicate with the public.

He published his New York Times bestselling memoir “Never Have Your Dog Stuffed—And Other Things I’ve Learned” in 2005. His second bestseller, “Things I Overheard While Talking to Myself,” came out in 2007. Alda’s latest book, If I Understood You, Would I Have This Look on My Face? My Adventures in the Art and Science of Relating and Communicating, was released in June 2017.

A book signing will follow his lecture Friday evening.

Also, Alda, a science advocate, will speak earlier in the day on campus – from 2 to 3 p.m. in UNCG’s Sullivan Science Building, Mead Auditorium. This “Dialogue Across Disciplines: Bridging Humanities, Arts and Sciences” event will be a one-hour open discussion and exchange with audience participation. The theme will be communication across disciplines, based on Alda’s recent book “If I Understood You, Would I Have This Look on My Face?”

This afternoon UNCG and UNCG Medicinal Chemistry Collaborative (MCsquared) hosted event is free-admission, but space is limited. Please click on “Register” to RSVP at this page: HERE.